Pastor Shaun finally finished the book of ACTs this last Sunday and he finished it with the question “Where is your Mission?” (I may have paraphrased a little). That is a great question and it has been one of my New Year’s resolution on “How can I impact those who are in front of me.”
In the book of Acts Luke talks allot about the Journeys of Paul’s life and how he impacted the world around him. As Pastor Shaun noted Paul is unique and we cannot all be like him in traveling around the world to evangelize. There are a few that are called to do this type of ministry but most of us are not. Shaun then stated that we should first start with those closest to us (our family and neighbors). There is a Big Mission field right in front of us……
One of the passages that Shaun used was for Paul can be something that we can utilize also in our own lives. Paul told the people who were in front of him about Jesus.
Philippians 1: 12 > 14: “Paul’s Chains Advance the Gospel” *Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.
As you can see that even when Paul was in prison he was talking to the people who were right in front of him.
We can do the same as Paul has done. Here is a list of some of the challenges that I have tried to overcome to let Jesus shine through me.
- The first thing I did when I moved to my current address was to make sure and get to know my neighbors. The last place I had lived I did not know but one family. Now my neighbors know me.
- When I am at a store or restaurant I try to notice the name of the person who is serving me. Then I make an effort to have a small conversation with me. I have to tell you most of the people at my pharmacy know about my life and it is great when I get back from vacation they ask me how it was.
- How about the person you pass by. I remember a letter in the newspaper a while back when a lady stated that someone had made her day by saying “Hi” to her at the Library. We can to the same…… “Smile and say Hi to those you pass”. They will know that there is something special about you.
- Those in need. How do you approach them and help. It could be someone on the Highway – or a need the church has passed on – or it could be family member that needs your time. I have to say time is precious and is one of the biggest gifts you can give.
- My special one is my Grandkids – I want them to see Jesus in me….
So in my Final Thoughts the question comes back:
Where is your Mission?
**A special Song hit about ministering to those around us: It is “Just give me Jesus!” It is by Unspoken… Enjoy it is a powerful song……